SOUTHWEST FLORIDA BUR/BUILT UP ROOFING REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT
BUILT UP ROOFING SERVICES
Built-up roofing, also referred to as BUR, is one of the most common roofing systems for commercial roofs. In fact, due to its reliability, built-up roofing has been a go-to application for commercial roofs for decades. It’s a spectacular and reliable roofing option, especially for low-slope style roofs. If you’re looking for a new roof for your commercial building, we will outline a things to consider if you’re thinking about a built-up roof system.
What is Built-Up Roofing?
Built-up roofing is a style of roof used on low-slope roofing systems, typically in commercial roofing applications. By alternating and applying layers of fabric and bitumen (asphalt), the roof is essentially “built-up” layer by layer, providing a sealed, continuous surface once the last layer is applied.
Most built-up roofing systems are comprised of three different parts: bitumen, ply sheets, and the surfacing material. The bitumen can either be “hot” or “cold” when applied. “Hot” bitumen is heated so that it liquefies and hardens during cooling while “cold” bitumen is applied more as an adhesive. Next, the ply sheets—a tough, reinforced fabric—are essentially laid over the bitumen and bonded to the roof. Finally, a surfacing material is placed over the ply sheets, giving it a finished look as well as helping to protect the roof from the Florida elements. The surfacing material is typically some kind of stone or gravel, but it largely depends on the application and the individual building’s needs.
Built-Up Roofing Pros and Cons
Built-up roofing systems have several different pros and cons. When considering a roof for your commercial building, please take into consideration the following:
- Great Coverage Against the Florida Elements: The biggest advantage of built-up roofing is its resilience to the elements. Due to being sealed and covered with several different materials, built-up roofs are waterproof, mostly fireproof, and study enough to protect against flying debris during a Florida thunderstorm. Built-up roofs also provide strong protection against UV rays.
- Excellent Lifespan: Depending on the materials used, built-up roofs can last anywhere from 15 to 40 years. They’re a strong and durable roof system, depending on the material used.
- Low-Maintenance: Once a built-up roof is installed, it’ll generally last you a good amount of time. If there are any damages to a built-up roof, repairs to it will typically be more cost effective compared to other roofing alternatives.
- Longer Installation: As multiple layers need to be applied, a built-up roof takes longer to install than other commercial roofing types.
- A Costly Investment: Compared to other commercial roofing options, built-up roofs tend to cost more, due to the additional labor required. This cost can be outweighed, however, with this roofing types lifespan and ability to outlast other roofing types.
Built Up Roofing Considerations
If you’re searching for a local Southwest Florida roofing company to install a built-up roof for your commercial building or if you need repairs to an existing built-up roof, our experts are well trained and experienced working with these roofs. We welcome any questions you may have, and are always available to provide insight, as well as a free estimate.
New Built-up Roof Installation
We have installed several built-up roofs over the years in both new construction and replacement applications. We’re experienced in both cold and hot bitumen, and we’ve used several different materials for the finishing layer. Our built-up roofing team takes great pride in their work and it truly shows. Contact us today for a complimentary quote for your next commercial re-roof project!
Built-up Roof Repairs
If your built-up roof has current damage that needs fixed, whether it be wind, water, or another type of damage, do not hesitate to call us. Our roofing teams are fast and efficient and will inspect and remedy your commercial roofing issue as soon as possible. Don’t hesitate to contact our office at your convenience with any questions. We proudly offer free quotes and free second opinions!